Revised May 2014
Board Approved June 2014
Posted December 2014
I - National Specialty Show:
A. The GSPCA shall sponsor and hold a National Specialty Show, Futurity, Sweepstakes, Obedience Trials, Rally Trials, Junior Showmanship and other related activities here in after referred to as the National Specialty Show
B. The National Specialty Show shall be conducted and governed by the National Specialty Show Executive Committee hereafter referred to as NSSEC.
C. Agility Trials and Tracking and/or Hunt Test and/or Member Club Specialty Show may be held in conjunction with the National Specialty Show at the determination of the NSSEC.
D. The National Specialty Show shall be held during April or May of each year on a date determined by the NSSEC.
E. The National Specialty Show will be scheduled to encompass one weekend day.
F. The National Specialty Show shall be held on a rotating basis among three geographic regions of the country as follows:
1. East (comprised of the following sections):
· Northeastern: CT, DE, ME, MA, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT
· Southeastern: AL, FL, GA, MD, NC, SC, VA, WV, DC
2. Central (comprised of the following sections):
· North Central: IA, IL, MN, NE, ND, SD, WI
· South Central: AR, KS, LA, MS, MO, OK, TX
· East Central: OH, IN, KY, MI, TN (1st election in 2008)
3. West (comprised of the following sections:
· Northwestern: AK, ID, MT, OR, WA, WY, that portion of CA with postal zip codes 93600 and above.
· Southwestern: AZ, CO, HI, NV, NM, UT and that portion of CA with postal zip codes of 93599 and below.
Using 2004 as a base point the National Specialty Show will rotate from the East region in 2004 to the Central region in 2005 and to the West region in 2006 before returning to the East in 2007 to start the cycle again.
G. The site of the National Specialty Show shall be selected by the National Specialty Show Delegates from a list prepared by the NSSEC. The site shall be selected and voted on three (3) years in advance. (Board approved June 2004) All site details will be presented to the board for approval at the Jan. meeting and approved prior to the delegates voting at the Delegates Meeting at the National Specialty Show. (This is to commence Jan. 2011 for the 2014 National) (Board approved June 2008)
H. The financing of the National Specialty Show shall be the responsibility of
I. There will be a budget presented to the NSSEC by the National Show
Chairman no later than August 1st of the year prior to that National event. There will be a financial statement presented to the NSSEC prior to the summer Board meeting following that National event. The budget for the National Specialty Show will be overseen by the GSPCA treasurer and protocol for handling the budget will be determined by the presiding GSPCA treasurer and Chairman of the National Specialty Show Executive Committee.
J. All aspects of the National Specialty Show shall be subject to the approval and
direction of the Board of Directors of the GSPCA.
II - National Specialty Show Delegates:
A. There shall be an annual meeting of the National Specialty Show Delegates representing the Member Clubs of the GSPCA. Member Clubs and their designated representative must be in good standing with the AKC and with the GSPCA to be able to participate in the meeting.
B. A member club will be represented by one individual at the delegates meeting. Each delegate must reside in the same region as the club they are representing or be a member of that club. Prior to the annual meeting, each Member Club is responsible for furnishing the Secretary of the GSPCA with the appropriate credentials for their Delegate by the prescribed deadline. The delegates must be submitted to the secretary of the GSPCA in writing prior to the National Specialty Show Delegates meeting.
C. In the event that a Delegate from a Member Club cannot attend the Delegates Meeting, the Member Club can exercise its voting right by proxy provided this has been submitted to the Secretary of the GSPCA by the member club prior to the National Specialty Show Delegates Meeting. The proxy must be a resident of the same section as that of the Member Club. The total number of votes that may be held by any single Delegate is two. Proxies shall have the right to vote on all questions presented at that meeting.
D. Member Clubs may also cast their vote by mail on any matter submitted by a prior agenda.
E. All items voted on at the meeting must be presented to the GSPCA Recording Secretary as an agenda items. The deadline for these items is March 15th. A request will be sent out to all member clubs by the GSPCA Corresponding Secretary by Jan 10th asking for delegate names and agenda items. All delegates and agenda items will be available on the web page.
F. Each Member Club shall be entitled to one vote, cast by its designated
representative on the items as follows:
1. Selection of the site for the next National Specialty Show.
2. Election of representatives to the National Specialty Show Executive Committee.
3. Any matter pertaining to the running of the national specialty. These items are presented as agenda items by any GSPCA member or member club in good standing.
G. The annual meeting of the National Specialty Show Delegates shall be held at the place of and in conjunction with the NSS as determined by the NSSEC.
H. All Delegates present at the National Specialty Show Delegates Meeting will receive a copy of the agenda and order of business for that meeting, prior to the start of the meeting from the Secretary of the GSPCA. Agendas will also be available on the GSPCA website prior to the NSS.
I. A majority vote of the Member Club Delegates present, in person or proxy, shall decide any question.
J. The Chairman of the NSSEC shall preside at the annual meeting of the National Specialty Show Delegates. They shall have the usual functions and duties of a presiding officer and shall exercise the general supervision of the business of the meeting.
K. The Vice-Chairman in the absence or disability of the Chairman shall perform all duties and functions of the Chairman at the annual meeting of the National Specialty Show Delegates.
L. The Secretary for the Delegates Meeting shall be the Recording Secretary of the
III - National Specialty Show Executive Committee:
A. There shall be a NSSEC composed of the Recording Secretary and Treasurer of the GSPCA and seven additional members, one from each geographical section as defined in the Constitution and By-Laws of the GSPCA. Any candidate for election to the National Specialty Show Executive Committee must:
1. Be in good standing with the AKC and with the GSPCA.
2. Be willing to assume the responsibilities of at least one or more of the following functions or activities:
· Banquet Reservations
· RV parking
· Judges Hospitality/Gifts
· Catalog Advertising
· Parade of Title Holders
· Premium List
· Seminar Reservations
· Top 20 or 25 Competition
· Trophy Donations
· Other Activities/Functions as required.
B. The term for each member of the NSSEC will expire three years from the date elected.
C. Members must attend each NSS during their term unless excused by the NSSEC Chairman.
D. The NSSEC shall hold an organizational meeting following the annual meeting of the National Specialty Show Delegates to elect a Chairman as per Article VI, Section 5 of the Constitution and By-Laws of the GSPCA and a Vice-Chairman.
E. The Chairman of the National Specialty Show will be selected by the NSSEC. It is preferred that the show chairman and or the assistant show chairman be from the region that the national specialty will be held. Preference will be given to the NSSEC members from that region if they are qualified and willing. (As specified by Section I, Item 6 above).
F. The NSSEC will select someone (either from the NSSEC or from the membership at large) to oversee all Performance Events including Obedience, Rally, Tracking, hunt test, and Agility. This individual will be the performance chairman and will delegate as deemed necessary.
G. If a member of the NSSEC moves out of their region they will step down from their position and the remaining members of NSSEC will appoint a replacement from that section.
H. It is preferred by the NSSEC that members of the GSPCA Board of Directors (other than the Recording Secretary and Treasurer) not be elected to or agree to serve on the NSSEC.
I. If a member of the NSSEC is elected to the board in any capacity other than Secretary or Treasurer it is preferred that they step down and the NSSEC will appoint a new member that will serve until the original member’s term expires.
J. The NSSEC shall have overall responsibility for the National Specialty Show, subject to the authority of the GSPCA Board of Directors. In addition it shall have the power to:
1. Make changes or additions to the running rules whenever deemed necessary, subject to approval of the GSPCA Board of Directors. The changes and additions will be published in the minutes and the GSPCA web site. Each year prior to the June board meeting a revised copy of the running rules will be presented with a notation of any revisions. If no revisions are made a notation will be made.
2. Select a Judge if a vacancy occurs prior to a National Specialty event.
3. When appropriate, dedicate the National Specialty Show to the memory of a deceased member of the GSPCA.
IV-GSPCA National Specialty Show Conformation Judges
A. Selection Process
1. Selection of judges is done 3 years prior to the assignment
2. The NSSEC will establish and update yearly a pre-screened list of judges for the Breed in good standing with the AKC and the GSPCA. The list will consist of judges meeting the minimum qualifications as of Sept 1 of that current year. This list will highlight and list alphabetically breeder judges first. All other eligible judges will then be listed alphabetically. A list of eligible judges that cannot be nominated because they have judged within the past 5 years or will be judging in the future will be clearly differentiated. The list will be available on the GSPCA website and published annually in the Journal. The list will be modified and updated by the NSSEC using the minimum qualifications in the National Specialty Show Running Rules Section as approved by the GSPCA Board.
3. The NSSEC will appoint a Scribe prior to the National Specialty show. The scribe will be a member in good standing with GSPCA. Preference will go to the individuals who have demonstrated participation in volunteer duties for the GSPCA in the past and have completed them in a timely manner.
4. All members and member Clubs may submit 2 nominations online for the regular class judging. The on-line voting will allow the member to select 2 names from a vetted list. A name will not be listed unless the eligibility has already been determined.
The requirements for the Futurity and Sweepstakes will be printed online and all members and member Clubs will submit 2 names for sweeps and 2 names for futurity.
Nominations may also be mailed to the scribe.
5. Nomination Deadline: Feb. 1
a. Nominations must be submitted with the person’s GSPCA current
membership number or by the member club secretary on club
6. A computer generated tabulation of nominations will be presented to the chairman of the executive show committee. All mailed and lock box ballots will be sent to the chairman of the executive show committee. The top ten nominees in each category will be identified and letters advising them of their nomination and requesting bios and fee information will be mailed. The chairman of executive show committee will send the final list and tally sheets to the GSPCA Recording Secretary for conformation and retention.
7. The Nomination advisory Letter will inform the nominee of their nomination and include an introduction requesting a Bio, fee schedule and statement as to why they would like the honor of judging our national specialty. The deadline for the return of this information to the NSSEC show committee will be March 1st.
8. The top ten nominees for Futurity and Sweepstakes judges will be posted to the web site when qualifications have been established.
9. Additional information such as number of ballots received from members and Clubs, total number of names submitted/ category and any other statistical data that is deemed helpful may also be posted.
10. As the nominee’s letters are returned, and either acceptance or declination is indicated the NSSEC Chairman will contact the Webmaster to post this information on the GSPCA web site. Copies of each nominee’s Bio will be made available for review by the membership via the web site.
11. Each nominee’s fee schedule will be reviewed by the NSSEC and deemed acceptable or not. If not acceptable the NSSEC may contact the nominee to renegotiate the fee. If still unacceptable then the nominee’s name will be withdrawn. The reason for removal from the list will be prudently posted on the web site. The deadline for the NSSEC review and negotiations if needed is March 15th.
12. The minimum number in each assignment for final selection at the NSS banquet will be 5 for BOB, regular and non-regular classes, 3 each for Futurity or Sweepstakes. If after step 10 the minimum number is not met, the chairman will contact the next nominee on the list ask for the bios/fee/schedules. The deadline to send out these notices is March 20th with a return date of April 10th.
13. Selection of the judges will occur at the National Specialty Show Banquet. The drawing to select the judges will be done by Best Junior Handler if in attendance. A junior class winner will do the honors if the Best Junior is not present. If no Juniors are present then the GSPCA President will draw the names.
a. The names for each assignment will be recorded by the GSPCA Recording Secretary until all approved names for that assignment have been recorded. This will allow alternates as needed.
i. The first drawing will be for our Futurity judge. If the chosen futurity judge is also nominated for sweepstakes the futurity judge’s name will be removed from the sweepstakes judge drawing.
ii. The second drawing will be for the Sweepstakes judge
iii. The third drawing will be for BOB judge and dogs or bitches whichever is chosen.
iv. The fourth drawing will be for Class judge who will do dogs or bitches depending on which sex is chosen by BOB judge.
v. Each draw after is the number that judge will be on the alternate list until all the names are drawn.
vi. Once the names have been drawn and recorded they cannot be contested by any GSPCA individual or club member.
14. The results of the drawing will be posted on the web site under the
15. The GSPCA Recording Secretary will keep all ballots on file for review for one year after the NSS at which these judges officiate.
16. Once a person has judged a regular conformation class assignment they are not eligible for nomination to judge regular conformation classes again for 5 years. They would be eligible for nomination to judge Futurity or Sweepstakes. A person who judges Futurity may not be nominated to judge Futurity again for 3 years. A person who judges Sweepstakes may not be nominated to judge Sweepstakes again for 3 years. The Sweepstakes/Futurity judges will be eligible to judge regular conformation classes any time after their assignment is completed.
17. A Futurity or Sweepstakes judge who declines the assignment after accepting it will not be eligible for nomination again for 3 years from the date of the original assignment. In cases of extenuating circumstances that are justified by the NSSEC this rule can be set aside i.e. death in the family, severe illness that would prevent attendance.
18. Obedience, Rally, and Junior Showmanship judge to be selected by the National Specialty Show Executive Committee. Other Performance judges will be selected by the Performance Chairperson with the approval of the National Specialty Show Executive Committee
19. The GSPCA Webmaster will publish the results from the drawing of judges by June 1. The Journal Editor will publish the results from the drawing in the next Journal edition
20. If the BOB judge cannot fulfill their assignment the alternate sex judge will move up to BOB retaining the sex they were to do. The first alternate would then be asked to do the remaining sex.
B. Criteria qualifying persons as eligible for nomination to judge GSPCA National Specialty Conformation Events
1. Conformation Judges:
a. The selection of a Breeder Judge is encouraged by the GSPCA.
b. A Breeder Judge is defined as a person who has bred 5 GSP litters and
5 GSP bench champions with a minimum of 12 years in the sport.
Breeder Judges can be nominated while on permit status. A breeder
judge must be a GSPCA member in good standing with AKC and
GSPCA. Breeders will be highlighted and listed first on nomination
c. Any AKC approved (regular status) judge for German Shorthaired
Pointers in good standing with AKC and the GSPCA is eligible to be
nominated to judge the GSPCA National.
d. Any approved foreign judge (regular status) for German Shorthaired
Pointers in their country of residence and in good standing with AKC
and the GSPCA is eligible to be nominated to judge the GSPCA
National. Foreign judges will have to be nominated as a write in.
e. Parent Clubs by request may invite eligible individuals to judge their
Nationals or Specialties: In addition to the AKC requirements the
Individual would be required to be a member of the GSPCA in good
standing minimum of 10 consecutive years. Full details for this process
can be found on the AKC web site and they must be completed prior to
the nomination process.
2. Futurity Judge: mandatory requirements at time of nomination:
a. Will be knowledgeable, with success in breeding/exhibiting/handling the
GSP breed for 12 years or more.
b. Produced 5 GSP bench champions.
c. Nominee will be a member in good standing of the GSPCA for a
minimum of twelve years.
d. Judging experience in a minimum of 3 events such as local sweepstakes or
puppy matches. If a nominee does not have this experience and is selected
to judge it should be stipulated in their contract that they will need to
accomplish this prior to the NSS they are selected to judge. (This will
give them a time frame of 3 years).
3. Sweepstakes Judge: mandatory requirements at time of nomination:
a. Attended at least one national specialty for a sporting breed.
b. Seven years of involvement in AKC conformation venues with a
c. Bred or shown at least 5 sporting dogs to their bench championship.
d. Judging experience in a minimum of 2 events such as local
sweepstakes or puppy matches. If a nominee does not have this
experience and is selected to judge it should be stipulated in their
contract that they will need to accomplish this prior to the NSS they are
selected to judge. (This will give them a time frame of 3 years).
The National Specialty Show Executive Committee is responsible for assuring all names submitted for final selection (draw at the banquet) fully meet all mandatory requirements.
C. Judges’ Contracts and Obligations
1. The GSPCA Corresponding Secretary will contact Judges selected to judge the National Specialty conformation events at the Annual Awards Banquet after GSPCA Board approval and site contract signed by the GSPCA Treasurer or designated Officer and countersigned by the site informing them of their selection and providing them with a judging contract for signature. Selected judges will be requested to return their signed contracts within 30 days of the date of this notification letter.
2. Allowable expenses for Judges shall not exceed round trip air coach transportation, roundtrip transportation to and from home and the hotel to the airport, airport parking, lodging and meals from the day preceding the start of events they are judging to the day after the conclusion of the events they judge. Judges fees may be negotiated with the judge by the NSSEC Chairman. The contracts are executed by the GSPCA Corresponding Secretary.
3. The Futurity and Sweepstake judge contracts will have the notation that neither the judge nor any member of their immediate family/household may exhibit at this National event and no dog they own or co-own, may be shown at the National event which is to include all host functions prior to and following the National event. The contract for Futurity and Sweepstakes will also state that no dog the judge bred or co-bred may be shown to them. If an exhibit is professionally handled by the Futurity /Sweepstakes judge in the year prior to the National event, it is understood that the owners/co-owners and the exhibit cannot show or be shown to said judge.
4. No dog may be entered or exhibited under a judge if, within the prior year, the owner or co-owner also owns or co-owns a dog with the judge. (Approved Board of Directors June 2004)
5. Elected judges (including Futurity and Sweepstakes) will not judge German Shorthaired Pointers six (6) months prior to the NSS they will be judging except in group judging
6. All judges, regular and non-regular, will not exhibit, own or co-own an exhibit at the National event which will include all host functions prior to and following the National during national week
V-National Specialty Show-DNA requirements
A. All entrants at the National Specialty Show including performance and hunt test events will require a DNA number at the time of entry. This number must be included with the entry form. The number can be a temporary DNA number that has been assigned to that dog pending the final results.
If a DNA number is contested and proven to be falsified then all wins will be revoked by the GSPCA and AKC per entry certification.
VI- National Specialty Show Futurity:
A. The GSPCA national show futurity will be held after the sweeps each year in order to showcase the Futurity and give the puppies time in the ring prior to the futurity. This can be changed if deemed necessary by majority vote of the NSSEC.
The GSPCA National Show Futurity will be held each year in conjunction with the GSPCA National Specialty Show.
ELIGIBILITY: Puppies whelped between October 1, 2009 and September 30, 2010 will be eligible for the 2011 Futurity. All breeders and co-breeders of litters nominated for the Show Futurity must be members of the GSPCA. All owners and co-owners of individual dogs or bitches that compete in the Show Futurity must be members of the GSPCA before February 28th. If the ownership changes prior to the Futurity, the dog will remain eligible provided all new owners/co-owners are members or applies for membership to the GSPCA. The Futurity Chairman must be notified within 10 days of any changes of ownership.
NOMINATION: Bitches must be nominated within 56 days (8 weeks) of whelping, and a fee company the nomination. Any nominations postmarked later than 56 days from whelping will be considered late. Litters may be nominated after the 56th day but not later than 112 days (16 weeks), with an additional $50 penalty payment ($70 total). Litters may be nominated after 112 days (16 weeks), with an additional $200 penalty payment ($220 total). No nomination will be accepted if postmarked later than 143 days (20 weeks) after whelping.
SENIOR CLASS: For dogs whelped on or after October 1 through January 31. Dogs and bitches will be judged separately.
INTERMEDIATE CLASS: For dogs whelped on or after February 1 through May 31. Dogs and bitches will be judged separately.
JUNIOR CLASS: For dogs whelped on or after June 1 through September 30. Dogs and bitches will be judged separately.
PAYMENT OF FORFEITS: Three forfeits must be paid as follows: First Forfeit of $15 must be postmarked by December 31; Second Forfeit of $15 must be postmarked by February 28 (29); Third Forfeit of $15 (to count as entry fee) must be received by the closing date of the National Specialty Show entries.
Any forfeits, with the exception of the third forfeit, will be accepted if postmarked up to 21 days late and accompanied by a penalty payment of an additional $15. Late forfeits postmarked after the 21st day, or forfeits without proper payments, will be returned. All forfeits will become the property of the GSPCA Futurity.
FORMS: An official Futurity Certificate of Nomination will be sent to the breeder upon nomination of the litter. Upon return of the Certificate with appropriate payment (First forfeit), official Forfeit Cards will be sent to the breeder. These Forfeit Cards, which must accompany the payment of Second Forfeits, should be given to the owners of the eligible puppies. In addition, copies of the Official Rules and Conditions for the Futurity will be sent to the breeder to be given to owners of eligible puppies.
DIVISION OF PRIZE MONEY: Actual Futurity expenses will be deducted from Futurity money. The balance remaining will be divided as follows:
a. Best of Futurity and Best of Opposite will receive 12.5% of the funds, which will be further divided 50% to the owner and 40% to the breeder.
b. The winner of each class will receive up to $300 or the total of the funds available for that class if the funds are less than $300.
c. If the funds available for each class are more than $600, the winner will receive at least $300 of those funds available, according to the following allocation:
1st Place = 50% 2nd Place = 25% 3rd Place = 15% 4th Place = 10%
d. If the funds available for each class allow for the winner to receive $300, but are less than $600, the allocation of the funds for placements 2 through 4 would be as follows:
2nd Place = 50% of the remaining funds
3rd Place = 32% of the remaining funds
4th Place = 18% of the remaining funds
All funds for each class will be further divided 60% to the owner and 40% to the breeder
VII - National Specialty Show Sweepstakes:
The GSPCA National Show Sweepstakes will be held each year in conjunction with the GSPCA National Specialty Show. The classes will be as follows:
Puppy dogs (6 mos. & under 9 mos.) Puppy bitches (6 mos. & under 9 mos.)
Puppy dogs (9 mos. & under 12 mos.) Puppy Bitches (9 mos. & under 12 mos.)
Dogs (12 mos. & under 15 mos.) Bitches (12 mos. & under 15 mos.)
Dogs (15 mos. & under 18 mos.) Bitches (15 mos. & under 18 mos.)
Dogs (18 mos. & under 24 mos.) Bitches (18mos. & under 24 mos.)
Division of the prize money will be as follows: The GSPCA shall retain 30% of the total receipts of the Sweepstakes entry fees. The remaining 70% shall be known as the Sweepstakes Fund and shall be divided proportionately based on the number of entries in each class, and then further divided as follows:
Best in Sweepstakes 7% of Sweepstakes Fund
Best of Opposite 5% of Sweepstakes Fund
1st place 40% of Class Fund
2nd place 30% of Class Fund
3rd place 20% of Class Fund
4th place 10% of Class Fund
Dogs and bitches that are entered in the Sweepstakes must also be entered in a regular or non-regular class of the National Specialty Show.
The GSPCA National Veteran Sweepstakes will be held each year in conjunction with the GSPCA
National Specialty Show. The classes will be as follows:
Veteran dogs (8 yrs. & under 9 yrs.) Veteran bitches (8 yrs. & under 9 yrs.)
Veteran dogs (9 yrs. & under 10 yrs.) Veteran bitches (9 yrs. & under 10 yrs.)
Veteran dogs (10 yrs. & Over) Veteran bitches (10 yrs. & Over)
Entrants are not required to enter a regular class at the National Specialty Show. Spayed or neutered veterans may enter the Veteran Sweepstakes.
Division of the prize money will be as follows: The GSPCA shall retain 30% of the total receipts of the Sweepstakes entry fees. The remaining 70% shall be known as the Veteran Sweepstakes Fund and shall be divided proportionately based on the number of entries in each class, and then further divided as follows:
Best Veteran Sweepstakes Dog 5% of Sweepstakes Fund
Best Veteran Sweepstakes Bitch 5% of Sweepstakes Fund
1st place 40% of Class Fund
2nd place 30% of Class Fund
3rd place 20% of Class Fund
4th place 10% of Class Fund