This Code of Ethics outlines the essentials of responsible
behaviors for German Shorthaired Pointer owners and potential breeders whose
foremost aim should be the health and welfare of their dogs and the breed.
Members of the GSPCA agree to abide by the Club’s Constitution which,
in Article 1, Section 2 defines the objects of the Club as:
- (a) To encourage and promote the breeding of pure-bred
German Shorthaired Pointers and to do all possible to bring their natural
qualities to perfection;
- (b) To encourage the organization of independent local German Shorthaired
Pointer Specialty Clubs in those localities where there are sufficient
fanciers of the breed to meet the requirements of The American Kennel
- (c) To urge members and breeders to accept the Breed Conformation
Standard of the breed as approved by the American Kennel Club as the
only standard of excellence by which German Shorthaired Pointers shall
- (d) To do all in its power to protect and advance the interests of
the breed by encouraging sportsmanlike competition at dog shows, field
trials, hunt test, and obedience trials;
- (e) To conduct sanctioned matches and specialty shows, field trials,
hunt test, and obedience trials, agility trials and any future AKC
recognized licensed event under the rules of The American Kennel Club.
Consistent and/or flagrant disregard for the Code of Ethics may constitute
conduct prejudicial to the breed and/or the club under Article VII,
Section 2 of the GSPCA By-Laws.
GSPCA members agree to:
- Adhere to the procedures outlined in the GSPCA By-Laws.
- Comply with the rules, regulations and requirements of the American
- Maintain their dogs in healthy and clean condition, providing proper
nutrition and housing, regular veterinary care, appropriate social
experience, and regular exercise in a safe area.
- Behave in a sportsmanlike manner and not disparage other owners,
exhibitors, breeders and their dogs.
- Avoid public confrontation with officials, exhibitors and/or those
providing services at GSPCA and/or AKC sponsored events.
- Avoid public comment or action intended to impugn the integrity
of members of the GSPCA including its Officers, Directors and Committees.
- Conduct business at official club meetings with courtesy and respect.
As a member/breeder:
- Breed only with the intention of improving the breed,
using sire and dam of appropriate qualities in relation to the official
breed standard and soundness in health, physical structure and temperament.
Promote and breed with the intention of producing high quality hunting
dogs that strongly represent what the breed is intended to be, a hunting
- Not sell, consign or donate puppies or adult dogs to commercial
breeders, retailers, research laboratories or supply dogs for lotteries,
raffles, prizes or auctions.
- Not release puppies less than seven weeks of age.
- Encourage puppy purchasers to spay or neuter animals placed as pets.
- Screen all prospective buyers to assure that puppies have safe and
- Furnish buyers with an honest evaluation of the quality of the puppy/dog
sold and details on feeding, care, inoculations, as well as pedigrees
and written sales agreements. Sales agreements should include requirements
that the owner:
a. Maintain the best possible standards of canine health, cleanliness
and veterinary care in an atmosphere conducive to the stable development
of their dogs.
b. Not allow dogs in their care to run free other than in a controlled
situation and become nuisances to society.
- Provide assistance and support to puppy buyers for the life of the
- Be willing to take back or re-home animals sold because of situations
or circumstances that have changed in the life of the buyer.
- Encourage owners to become involved in German Shorthaired Pointer
activities, the German Shorthaired Pointer Club of America and local
German Shorthaired Pointer Specialty Clubs.